Together with civil society partners, Australian Progress analysed the language people in Australia use to speak about economics (and tax, welfare, aid, privatisation, work and more) and commissioned compelling new research.
The research involved 8 focus groups and quantitative survey and dial test with a representative sample of 1509 Australian voters, and 60 advocates – staff in our partner organisations.
This 18-month collaboration and the commissioned research informed these new messaging resources which we expect will be useful and effective for communicators, campaigners and advocates for more progressive economic policy.
These guides contain general and specific advice on framing and language that win with persuadable audiences. They represent the best of what we know so far, from our analysis and this research project.
How to Talk About Economics: A Guide for Changing the Story.
The full guide is 50 pages long and details the research process, the key insights into how people reason about the economy, and detailed analysis of the key narrative and language shifts that move persuadable audiences toward progressive policy. Download it here.
The How to Talk about Economics “Cheat Sheet”
A short, eight-page ready-reckoner to the top takeaway lessons from the research to guide anyone looking to better communicate economic issues to promote progressive policy. Download it here.
These reports from our research partners (Tim Chapman of The Bluestone Agency, John Armitage of QDOS Research and Troy Burton of Reveille Strategy) informed the research:
- Research results: A detailed visual presentation of the quantitative research, including additional analysis: Download it here.
- Focus Group Report from John Armitage of QDOS Research. Download it here.
- Economic Messaging for Progressives: A review of Don’t Buy it by Anat Shenker-Osorio
- How to Change the Narrative and Frame Issues for Social Change Impact
- Communication - Messaging
- Economics - Messaging
- Economics - Messaging - Guides_Manuals
- Framing - Guides_Manuals
- Story_Narrative - Guides_Manuals