This Community Safety Toolkit by Vision Change Win is a collection of security and safety practices built by years of learning in the streets from Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour movements within the U.S. Developed and edited by safety and security practitioners with a range of 10-40 years experience, this toolkit includes handouts, tips, and worksheets to support you in growing or building your community safety practices and/or teams.
This toolkit is a catalyst intended to help you and your community better address real threats of violence in the unique contexts where they may arise.
Since violence often looks different in different geographic locations and communities, the resources in this toolkit are intended to be adapted to your specific conditions.
It’s also important to name that while some of the writers and contributors have worked on issues of community safety outside of the United States., this information is primarily based on conditions within the U.S., with all its political, social, and historical particularities.
What is Community Safety?
Vision Change Win define Community Safety as action and event security, office and organizational safety, verbal de-escalation, physical de-escalation, personal safety, transformative justice processes, community safety neighbourhood strategies, bystander intervention, and cop watch.
1. Resources for Navigating Multiple Pandemics
a. Organizing and Attending Actions During Uprisings and COVID-19
b. Dual Protections from COVID-19 and RCAs
c. Navigating Tear Gas, Pepper Spray, and Other RCAs
d. COVID-19 Security Formations
2. Security and Safety Resources for These Times and Beyond
a. Verbal De-escalation Tips
b. Security Teams For Actions, Demonstrations, and Events
i. Handout: Planning Your Event Action Grid
ii. Security Roles
iii. Vetting Security Teams
c. Organizational Safety Planning
i. Worksheet: Organizational Safety Sample Inventory
ii. Handout: Organizational Safety Know Your Rights
iii. Worksheet: Organizational Safety Planning Grid
About the Author
Vision Change Win is a team of experienced social justice consultants who support organizations in fully manifesting their missions, visions, and values. We deliver practical and effective solutions to social justice organizations working in policy advocacy, community organizing, art, culture and direct services.
- Nonviolent Community Safety and Peacekeeping Trainers’ Manual
- Pt’chang Volunteers Manual
- Beautiful Trouble’s Guide to Activism During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- De-escalate, Manage and Transform Conflict
- 1/6: The Graphic Novel and Education and Action Guide: What if the attack on the US Capitol has succeeded?
- Chemicals - Tear Gas_Pepper Sprays
- Civil disobedience
- Conflict Resolution_Management
- Coronavirus infections_COVID-19 (Disease) - Social aspects
- Crisis management
- Police brutality
- Safety education
- Violence - Prevention and De-escalation