Welcome to the Arts & Creativity topic in the Commons Social Change Library. We have gathered a wide range of materials to inform the public about options for utilising art and creativity in social change activities.
To get started the Librarians recommend reading the following four articles by Iain McIntyre:
- Creative Activism: An Antidote to Despair
- Changing the world via shock and beauty: Visual Artworks
- Items of Mass Instruction: Posters, Stickers, Memes and More
- Pranks, Performances and Protestivals: Public Events
For practical examples of using art in campaigning read these:
- Craftivism: A Manifesto/Methodology
- Parasols of protest: How to make beautiful parasols to stand out at actions
- Ducks For Detainees: art events for awareness raising
- Art for Change: fundraising with art
Want a break from reading?
- Listening to the Artivists: Podcasts about activism and the arts
- Listen and watch 40 years of Australian blockading songs
- The spirit of Mambesak – West Papuan freedom music
- TED talk: Activism needs introverts; An introduction to ‘craftivism’
There’s plenty more, just have a browse.