Deepen your understanding of the problem, moving from “what just happened?” to “what beliefs keep the system in place?” Developed by Northwest Earth Institute, the Iceberg is another way we drill down into the root cause of the problem our campaign aims to address — shifting our focus from the current event into underlying societal structures and mental modes. It can also help us move more directly into thinking about interventions in societal and cultural institutions.
Events – React
- What just happened?
Patterns and Trends – Anticipate
- What’s been happening?
- What’s changing?
Structures – Design
- What has influenced these changes?
- What are the relationships between parts?
- What are the rules, norms, cultures, values and policies?
Mental Modes – Transform
- What assumptions, beliefs and values do people hold about the systems?
- What beliefs keep the system in place?
This worksheet is part of The Campaign Accelerator Toolkit. This is a practical guide by Mobilisation Lab for planning campaign projects. It includes visual templates, methods, and exercises.