Connecting online has been part of our lives for years but the Coronavirus pandemic has made it crucial. Many teams already operate remotely whereas others are undertaking a steep learning curve about a whole new set of practices. Check out these guides to help you get the most out of your meetings.
Many of the principles of face-to-face facilitation apply in online meetings, with particular considerations around increasing engagement, ensuring all voices are heard, and navigating technical barriers.
- Getting Started with Online Training and Facilitation – Jeanne Rewa
- Facilitating online meetings – Daniel Hunter, 350.org
- Leading Groups Online: A down-and-dirty guide to leading online courses, meetings, trainings, and events during the coronavirus pandemic (Downloadable pdf booklet) – Jeanne Rewa and Daniel Hunter
- How to have online inclusive meetings – Fee Plumley
- Facilitating Hybrid Groups Online – Training for Change
- How To Facilitate Effective Virtual Meetings – Beth Kanter
- Are Your Zoom Meetings on Middle Class Standard Time? Running meetings that prioritise relationships and the energy of the group – Andrew Willis-Garcés
- Power Dynamics and Inclusion in Virtual Meetings – Evelyn Arellano
These guides include both tech and facilitation tips.
- Zoom Meetings Host Guide – Australian Conservation Foundation. This clear guide produced to support ACF Community groups will help you set up and run an online meeting using Zoom.
- Tips for moving to online meetings for the first time – Helpful tips gathered by and for grassroots activists.
- Hosting virtual hybrid meetings – Blueprints for Change. This guide includes notes on roles, resources, sample agendas, tips and tricks.
- HUM: Double the engagement and productivity of your next online meeting – Jacinta Cubis
- Good practices for accessible virtual meetings – Accessible U
Slide Deck Template
- The Online Training Monster Manual – Daniel Hunter, 350. A comprehensive collection of training activities with interactive slides you can adapt for your group.
Help with Tools
- Zoom Help Guides and Video Tutorials
- Access Discounted Rates to Zoom Meetings Pro Plan Subscription – For eligible not-for-profits with DGR status via Connecting Up (Australia and New Zealand) or TechSoup (other countries).
- Miro online whiteboard integrates with Zoom and is accessible for screen readers
- The Beginners Guide to Google Docs – A Google Doc that meeting participants can access and add notes to can be a helpful addition to online meetings.
- Tips on Using Slack – Slack can help remote teams, or networks, stay in touch.
- Icebreakers for Online Meetings That Introverts Will Love – Beth Kanter
- 5 Fun Icebreakers Perfect for Virtual Teams – Conceptboard
- Virtual Ice Breakers: Help Remote Teams Break the Ice – MindTools
Adjusting to Working from Home
- So you’re working from home now…– Chris Jensen, Raisely. Tips to help work go well and keep your team connected.
- Look Great in Your Next Webcam Video – Wistia
- How to manage your mental health during self-isolation (The Independent) and Looking after your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak (Beyond Blue)
I want more!
- A bumper collection of Resources for Online Meetings, Classes, and Events – An evolving Google doc collated by Facilitators for Pandemic Response group.
- Mass organising calls and webinars – Tips for using large scale conference calls and webinars to mobilise supporters and scale up action.
- What You Should Know About Digital Privacy and Security During the COVID-19 Crisis – Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Digital Campaigning: Start Here – Plenty more links for creating change using online tools.
Something to add or noticed a gap? Contact the Commons Librarians.
- Coronavirus infections_COVID 19
- Meetings - Digital_Virtual
- Virtual work teams
- Zoom (Video Conferencing Company)