Tired of making new slide decks for interactive tools? Want new ideas on participatory methods online? Looking for new games and warm-ups? Then have we got an answer for you: the “Online Monster Manual” is a compilation of 80+ online training tools from 350 globally.
About the Manual
The most comprehensive Online Training Monster Manual — over 80 tools to make your workshops and events more participatory and interactive! Access the slide deck here.
I’m launching it now because so many groups across the globe are planning Online Training sessions and — yes, it’s not ideal to train online — but we can up our game!
The Monster Manual features common tools like spectrum of allies, pillars of support, polls, and online spectrums. It includes speciality organizing tools for analysis and tactic generation like paper plate challenge and Action MadLibs. It boasts a wide number of energizers guaranteed to lift your online events!
This version designed for use with Zoom + Google slides, but you can of course adapt and use.
These tools are used well in conjunction with the lessons from the free booklet Leading Groups Online.
Usage: Given freely to movement use by 350.org — free for any non-profit usage as long as you link to this page and use it for non-commercial progressive/revolutionary social change.
A note on credit: The content is created by Daniel Hunter but adapted from material from Leading Groups Online, Training for Change, 350 internal trainings, and external allies and friends. A huge amount of this was learned from the unparalleled Jeanne Rewa. We’ve tried to note credit wherever possible.
Table of Contents
Content-free tools flexible for adaptation
- Role-play (fishbowl)
- Filling out Charts
- Spectrums (with name)
- Spectrums (pseudo-anonymous)
- List-making (stickies)
- List-making (colorful stickies)
- List-making (bubbles)
- List-making (written)
- List-making (two columns)
- Image challenge
- Break-out Groups (sign-up)
- World Café
- Drawing Exercise (and Art Gallery)
- Our Newspaper Headline
After an action — techniques for debrief
- Timeline of Key Events
- Quote to inspire
- Tactic Review
- Pluses and Minuses
- 4 Aspects of Effective Strategy
- Personal Reflection
- Reference info for next time
ORGANISING & CHANGE
Unique tools specifically for organizing, mobilising and actions
- Campaigns vs. Action (2 slides)
- Paper Plate Challenge (2 slides)
- Tactic Effectiveness Check-in
- Action MadLibs (3 slides)
- Points of Intervention
- Finding Steady Ground
- Pillars of Support (2 slides)
- Moving the Rock
- Spectrum of Allies (3 slides)
TECH SLIDES (ZOOM)
Show how to do things in Zoom, like mute/unmute or turn interpretation on/off
- Basic Zoom Functions
- How to ask a question
- How to use phone for audio
- Private chat
Set the stage for excited learning
- Be Present
- Rituals (E.g. kava ceremony)
- Grab an object that supports you
- Requests for this call
- Picture Introductions
- Content Introducions
- Group Guidelines
Checking-out of a workshop
- Moment of Silence
- How do you leave this call?
- Which Greta are you?
- Holding Each Other
- What are you taking away? Anything else?
ONLINE GAMES & ENERGISERS
Tools to break up content, play, release, team-build, and have fun.
Games that can be more or less competitive
- Virtual Scavenger Hunt
- Hide and Seek
- 2 Truths and a Lie
- Guess the thing
- Virtual Bingo
Non-competitive game, stretches, improv exercises, etc.
- Energy Ball
- Story around the circle
- Shake It Off
- Yes Let’s…
- Online Telephone
- Big wind blows
- Club Gesture
- “Where on your screen is…”
- Touch Blue
- Music Dance Party
- Chair Stretches
- Chair Stretch (without video)
- Take 5 breaths together…
- Gift Giving
LINKS, CREDITS, AND IMAGES
- Our Recommendations to Learn More about Online Facilitation
- Credits and Copyright Info
- Images (and following pages)
SAMPLE GENERIC TRAINING DESIGNS
Free-to-adapt sample training agendas by 350
- Movement Strategy in a time of covid
- Creative Actions in a time of covid
- Recruiting people in a time of covid
- Healthy Teams in a time of covid
- Finance Campaigning 101
Access the Online Training Monster Manual slide deck here.
Want more tips on online training and facilitation? See Leading Groups Online and Online Meeting Guides to Get Through Covid-19.
- 350.org (Organisation)
- Campaigning - Strategy
- Capacity building
- Group skills
- Movements_Campaigns - Climate Action
- Tactics - Creative
- Teleconferencing_Computer conferencing_Webinars