By Good Chat
At FWD+Organise 2019 videographers Tom Maclachlan and Catherine Church from Good Chat presented on where video has come from, where it’s going, and shared their expert predictions for the role video will play in our campaigns in 2020 and beyond.
The nature of video and digital campaigning changes so rapidly, it’s sometimes hard to keep up with the latest strategies to cut through and move people. So what’s forecast for video in 2020?
This article includes 3 top takeaways from the presentation. You can also view the whole presentation from FWD+Organise 2019 here.
1. Top 5 Trends
The big five trends are –
Where should we spend our time with video?
The presentation includes information about different platforms and emerging trends in relation to them.
What kind of stories should we be telling?
The presentation includes the change in story focus over the years, the kinds of stories that resonate now, and example videos.
What are the new kinds of videos we can make?
The presentation looks at the trends of interactive and personalised videos.
What’s the best way to get our videos to our audience?
The presentation addresses the ‘contact stack’, using footage from one shoot to produce multiple different videos for different platforms and contexts.
What’s the new way to tell stories?
The presentation includes the following LOUIS Checklist and changing story arcs.
2. LOUIS Checklist
Every video must have one of these things.
- Laughter is usually a path to emotional connection. Breaks down the barrier. Helps us share.
- One of the best ways to get people to act. Works really well with urgent
- One of the best ways to get something shared – riding the moment, being a part of trending conversations. The philosophy behind our rapid response explainers.
- Tell people what they didn’t know, especially about a topic that everyone is interested in. Positions the client as the expert.
- The king of LOUIS. Try to make everything we do surprising. It is most effective in getting people to engage and share.
3. Stories are changing
Stories are changing from the Traditional Story Arc to the Emerging Story Arc.
- Campaigning - Digital_Virtual
- Digital campaigning
- FWD + Organise 2019 (Australian Progress Conference - Australia)