- Are you a movement builder, or aspire to be one?
- Do you recognise the impact you can have when you think big about change?
- Have you faced challenges of getting hundreds or thousands of individuals and organisations to create, speak and act together?
- Do you want to add greater value to your movement?
If so, The Movement Building Canvas is a practical framework to help you, your team or your organisation design your movement for maximum impact. Tested with NGOs, community groups and start-ups, it can be used at any time to explore movement building ideas.
Here are some tips for completing it.
- There’s a version with questions to help your thinking, and a version with headings only – full colour or black and white, you choose!
- If you want to doodle and scribble on the canvas, then download the version with the headings only. You could also blow this up large for groups of people to stick post-its on (that’s what we like to do!)
- Start with your people, then move into the centre to Movement Identity and work outwards through to Movement Journey and Movement Enablers.
- You can do it alone, but it’s better with friends! We suggest you review the questions first, identify the colleagues, partners and collaborators who can help you answer them and facilitate discussions with them.
- Don’t worry if the answers don’t all come at once. There are some deep questions about values and control, for example, and opinions may differ. Reaching a consensus on these things will be key so it’s worth taking the time to achieve it. The Social Change Agency can help with that.