Iain McIntyre talks with Ian Milliss about his involvement with Sydney’s Victoria St squats.
During the early 1970s this street in Kings Cross became the focus of a long running anti-development struggle that brought together long term residents, unionists and squatters in a campaign which reignited squatting across the city. The interview, originally broadcast on Community Radio 3CR, discusses the highs and lows of defying thugs, gangsters and the police in defence of a unique community. For more on Victoria St and the history of squatting in general visit Australian Museum of Squatting.
Listen to Interview
- Australian Museum of Squatting
- Squatting’s place in winning Emergency Housing, 1945-48
- Green Bans Timeline: 1971-74
- How to Make Trouble and Influence People – About and Book Reviews
- Campaigning - Grassroots
- Civil disobedience
- Communities_Community building / engagement
- Direct action - Non violent NVDA
- Movements_Campaigns - Anti development
- Social justice
- Tactics - Creative