Research and insights conducted by Australian academic, Robyn Gulliver, on the Australian environmental movement and campaigners including their experiences, characteristics of the movement, activities and campaigns. The research is available in two reports which can be downloaded from the PDF links below.
Environmental Campaigners and their experiences
This report outlines the findings from interviews undertaken with 26 environmental campaigners across Australia. The objective of this project was to identify patterns regarding campaigners’ views on the challenges and opportunities they experience and their perceptions of the success and failure of environmental advocacy.
- Number of campaigners active on environmental issues
- Geographic areas of activity
- What drives people to become environmental campaigners?
- The rewards of environmental campaigning
- The challenges of environmental campaigning
- Environmental campaigners and resources
- The challenges and opportunities of volunteers
- The changing dependency on membership
- Time, teams and tactics: The influences of resources
- Time: The most important resource of all
- The challenges and rewards of teamwork
- Choice of group strategies and tactics
- Environmental campaign success and failure
- Why does environmental advocacy fail?
- Success: What does it look like and how does it occur?
Environmental Groups: What, where and when
We know little about the full breadth of the Australian environmental movement. This report highlights the key findings from stage one of a doctoral investigation into the characteristics of the movement, including its current activities and the campaigns it runs to conserve and protect the environment.
- Environmental groups: What, where and when
- Geographical area of focus
- Environmental issues and number of groups
- Development of the Australian Environmental Movement over time
- Environmental group distribution and campaigns
- Spatial Distribution of environmental groups across Australia
- Number of campaigning groups and campaigns within each environmental issue focus
- Environmental Campaign targets and outcomes
- Campaign targets across different campaigning issues
- Case study of climate change campaign targets and outcomes
To read the full reports download PDFs below.